Monday, December 8, 2008

Los Angeles!

This weekend I visited another exchange student from the States, Emily Hughes, who lives in Los Angeles, a city 1.5 hours south of Chillán by bus. I went on Saturday afternoon and had lunch with her family. Another exchange student from Connecticut, Taylor McCurdy, came over to hang out with us in the afternoon because he lives really close to Emily.

That night we had another asado(barbecue) with Emily's family and some family friends (it started at 10:30 PM) and then we went to Emily's brother's friend's birthday party.

We didn't leave Emily's house until 11:45 and we ended up getting home at 6 AM, which apparently isn't that out of the ordinary for them haha.

<-- This is me with Emily, Carolina, and her friend Fabiola at the party.


We went out with Oscar, Emily's 23-year-old host brother, and his girlfriend, Carolina. When we went to the party, there were about 20-25 people there, just hanging out, drinking, eating, and talking. However, because it was a Chilean party, we were outside and around 3 AM I started to get REALLY cold and so some of us moved inside to sit on a couch and talk, which was much better :D.


And while Emily, Oscar and Carolina got to sleep in the next day, I woke up at 9 AM to drive to Salto de Lajas to run in a race with Taylor and his classmate.




<-- This is Salto de Lajas where we ran the race.







I ended up coming in 3rd out of all TEN women who ran and first in my age group, so they gave me a medal and a backpack as prizes.



<-- This is me receiving my prize...they put me on a podium and gave me a medal and evertything!











<-- Taylor and me just after he finished running






That night, we three made an American breakfast for "once". "Once" is their dinner, and usually it is just bread, cheese, ham, tea, coffee, maybe some leftovers from lunch. We made banana chocolate chip pancakes, french toast, bacon and homefries. I made everything but the pancakes (mostly because I missed making breakfast food so much) and everyone really liked it, especially the homefries. Although I didn't add paprika because they had run out, so they weren't totally perfect, but pretty close.














Then on Monday morning, we all slept in really late. I slept in until 10:30, ate breakfast, and then slept from 11 to 12:30 (a feat for me), and everyone else in the house was asleep too. Emily's family had to go to the campo
(country/farm) for her grandpa's birthday party around 1:30, so I went and had lunch with Taylor's family and hung out with him until it was time to catch my bus back to Chillán at 5.

2 comments:

Michael Maholchic said...

I am going to jog around the Tufts 10K course today in honor of your award winning running.

Mr. Shaw said...

Jennie!
Wow your still running! And you've gone to yet another prom! And you thought your high school prom days were over. I prefer the way they dance over there! Glad to see you're having a blast and healthy ^_^
TShaw